Local residents invited to Canford Park public consultation

Back to News

Wednesday 10th Aug 2016

A series of public consultations for the proposed Canford Park development will take place throughout Poole next month. 

The land, which is situated to the west of Bearwood and to the east of Merley, was one of the sites identified in the Borough of Poole’s recent Local Plan Review.  The proposed mixed-use development will include:

  • Around 2,500 new homes.  40% of these will be affordable which will include homes for first time buyers as well as shared ownership properties.  The other 60% will include a range of family homes aimed at those moving up the property ladder.
  • A new business park which will provide around 100,000 sqm of new employment premises which will host around 2,800 jobs and contribute £146million to the local economy each year.
  • A new local centre providing new shops, services and community facilities as well as a new primary school and playing fields.
  • New infrastructure including pedestrian and cycle routes, together with high frequency bus services


In addition, the whole development will be situated adjacent to 86 hectares of open space and parkland (which is approximately the size of 116 football pitches).  This land has previously been in private ownership and will open up public access to the River Stour.

Planning Consultant, Brett Spiller of Chapman Lily Planning said: “This consultation is an ideal opportunity for residents to give us their views on this proposed development.   Our proposal could significantly help the Borough of Poole with the challenges it currently faces – in particular the delivery of new housing.

He added: “If people are unable to attend our exhibition, a feedback form and the information boards on display will be available on our website at the end of September.”


Consultation dates:

 13 September : 3pm to 8pm                        Bearwood Community Centre  

15 September : 12 noon to 5pm                   Poole Library, Dolphin Centre

19 September : 3pm to 8pm                        The Spire (Methodist Church), Poole High Street

20 September : 3pm to 8pm                        Canford Cliffs Village Hall

22 September : 3pm to 8pm                        Oakdale Community Partnership Centre

27 September : 1pm to 5pm                        Community Room, Tesco Fleetsbridge

29 September :  3pm to 8pm                       Canford Magna Centre